Wednesday, August 15, 2012

One Good Thing About Music...

My parents took me to see John Prine in concert when I was a toddler. I can remember sitting in the auditorium and looking up at how high the ceiling was and waiting. I remember about two songs and then I'm pretty sure I fell fast asleep. I still remember it though, and thus began my love of a live show.

Now, as a thirty-something adult, I've seen hundreds of shows with legends, icons of every genre, one hit wonders, amazing local artists, and awesome collaborations. I've been to small intimate settings and giant stadiums, and wandered from stage to stage at mega-festivals.

I get an energy that is electric when I enter a venue. I love checking out people's style and how everyone interacts, each person being so individual and so unique. But through these differences, we are also united because we are all there for the same purpose, to enjoy music and maybe move and groove a little. It is a beautiful realization.  

It's a great feeling to hear the song you came to hear. You feel like you are connected.  Looking out into a sea of people and seeing the united movement to the rhythm of an awesome beat is as satisfying as an ice cold beer after a few hours of yard work in 80 degree weather. And an unexpected, well-done cover as a finale is like that Christmas present that Santa left tucked into the corner, The Red Ryder, if you will.  

And no, you won't shoot you eye out! So, get out there. Go see, hear, and FEEL some music. AND take your kids! It IS worth it and I can't imagine life without it. So, "THANKS! Mom and Dad, you did good!" And the music has shaped the girl as it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment